‘Lissa has a great post called Things to Buy Instead of Curriculum and I thought I’d play along with her: Michelle-Style!
- A Mental Floss subscription.
- Instruments, instruments, instruments – new guitar, new drums, new saxophone, an amp or three. Any instrument is better than boring curriculum, if you ask Michelle.
- I’m a fan of getting movies from the library but Michelle prefers to buy them used from Hollywood Video. She’s a Michael Moore fan and has enjoyed Marie Antoinette, The U.S. vs Lennon, Sylvia, any of the Shakespeare plays on video… dramatic adaptations of historical events and figures are always a hit. And, they tend to help her get inspired to learn more about those events and figures from history.
- A good cookbook – she has enjoyed Teens Cook but is getting a bit bored with it – time for a new one (if you have any suggestions, share them please!)
- A sewing machine and a bunch of fabric and notions. Patterns are not always required.
- Knitting needles, (bamboo are the needles of choice) and some nice yarn. A book like Stitch n Bitch: Knitters Handbook would also be helpful though it’s pretty easy to find "how to" instructions and videos online.
- A moleskine or three – several different kinds are preferred for use in many, many different ways.